Sunday, February 9, 2014

SNOW DAY

January 29th: Snow in the Carolina's

This actually happened!! It snowed in South Carolina!!! And I almost didn't get to enjoy Blakely's first snow with my girl...

Rich and I had been working in Charleston Monday when the reports started circulating that we "might" get snow on Tuesday/Wednesday. Blakely was staying in Lexington with GrandAnnie and GrandPop while we worked with the plan that I would return after I finished work on Wednesday. On Monday the chance for sleet/freezing rain was so high, that the schools and my office decided to close early on Tuesday at 2pm. Then Tuesday Morning, my office decided that we would be closed for "dangerous road conditions/snow day" on Wednesday. This meant that when I finished work on Tuesday, I would be done until after my maternity leave. Because of his position at the hospital Rich would have to stay downtown, so I would be alone at the townhouse... what to do?

I desperately wanted to be in Lexington to be with my girl in case it snowed, but the dangerous sleet/freezing rain was supposed to start around 2pm as well. So the question became- Do I risk driving in bad conditions 39 weeks pregnant and risk getting stuck on the highway? or Do I risk getting stuck in my townhouse with no Richard and no power? Finally, Rich and I decided it wasn't worth the risk on the road, and it was decided that I would stay in Charleston. I was crushed! The chance of snow for Lexington was up to 90% with possible 2-3 inches of accumulation... I was going to miss Blakely's first snow!!! :(

I called my in-laws to break the bad news, when my amazing father-in-law came to my rescue! They live in Nova Scotia and as a result they drive a 4-wheel vehicle with snow tires!! He immediately jumped in his car and rushed to my rescue. It sleeted the whole way to Lexington, while I prayed for our safety. By the time we arrived in Lexington, the car was covered in ice and snow had just started to fall!! I had made it!!!! And as far as snow days go, Blakely's first one did not disappoint...

Blakely's first glimpse of snow. She loved it and was mystified by it being cold.

Too dry for snowballs.... but super fun to throw anyways.

Blakely chasing GrandAnnie with a "snowball."

She would have played in the snow for hours if we had water proof clothes!!!
Blakely was like a little explorer when she first got outside. She immediately found a stick and used it to "survey" they yard before she took each step. It was like she did not know what lay beneath the snow.
Like true South Carolinians we did not have a sled... so we improvised! With GrandPop's help we were sledding!

GrandPop would pull her down the hill and spin her at the end!! Blakely would giggle and giggle and giggle!!

Sledding

GrandPop was indefatigable!! He would carry her up the hill and then pull her down the hill... over and over and over again!! 

She loved this!! Go GrandPop!!

 

Screaming and giggling the whole was down!! My little winter baby loves the cold.

Real sled! Our awesome new neighbors saw our plight and brought us a sled!! GrandPop finally got to be part of the action.

GrandPop and his girl ready to sled!


....and they are off!!

After the snow, Blakely got to play in Mommy's tub and then GrandAnnie made hot cocoa. Blakely LOVED the hot chocolate.

Cuddling on the couch and watching Disney's Robin Hood.

Then back to the snow!! 39 weeks pregnant and not cold one bit!!

Our snowman "Bob."

More excavating in the back yard. There was easily 3-4 inches of powder! She had snow up to her shins!

Running in the "slush!" There was powder in the morning, but by lunch time it had already started to melt.

Blakely loved "Bob." Every time we pulled up in the drive for the next 2-3 days, Blakely would say "Hi Bob!" Even after all the snow melted, Bob remained. He finally melted after 4 days and 1 newspaper appearance!! Thanks Timmy-D!!

Giving Bob a kiss!

Hug!!


Snow angels in South Carolina are hilarious, because they immediately reveal the grass below!

Examining her handy work! She loved making snow angels!

During our break, I showed Blakely a 15 second video of Banks making snow angels. 2 hours later we were back outside, she laid down in the snow and started making a snow angel all on her own!! Such a smart girl!!



My little adventurer!! Trekking with her stick!


 


We had the best day ever!! We played in the snow, went for a nature walk, build a snowman, sledded, and drank hot chocolate! This was a perfect first snow day, and I KNOW we will be finding some snow for this little snow bunny again soon!

Such a fun day to share with GrandAnnie and GrandPop!! Thank you so much GrandPop and rescuing me from Charleston! This is a day I would NOT have wanted to miss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment