Monday, June 13, 2011

Is that a baby or a bubble?

May 11th: Our first OB visit!! Richard and I both snuck away from work for the afternoon to go to the OB for the first time together! Super strange to have a man back there with you. Most people if they had missed their period by 7 weeks AND had a positive pregnancy test would assume that they were pregnant. Unfortunately, I was not (for the first time in my life) in this optimistic camp. I was absolutely convinced that it was a Molar pregnancy, Cancer, Premature Ovarian failure, etc, etc, etc....
For once in my life being a doctor was NOT a good thing. I had become a hypochondriac!

I was soooooo, sooooo nervous! I couldn't sleep the night before, and I couldn't eat anything before the appointment. I wanted so, so desperately for it to be a baby.... but I was so scared it wasn't! Until....

Our BELOVED Bubble!!! You can't see it in the picture, but in the live shot you could see the tiny, flickering heart!! It was a baby! A real baby!! Our baby!! Richard and I both got misty, and then I really cried. We were going to be parents... with all the responsibility and joy that entailed!! What a blessing!!

Over the next several days, we got to experience the joy of telling our family and friends!! Everyone was so excited. Katie King cried in simlab, Kayla started talking ONLY to the baby, Poppy was speechless, and Grandma Koko had lots of advise regarding Morning Sickness ("...lay on the floor and don't get up.") I think everyone is looking forward to meeting our new addition!!

May 31st: The baby is now 10 weeks old, and the size of a large date!! (this seems like a very reasonable comparison, considering how popular date's are in our culture!) Time for our 2nd ultrasound!!!

Measuring in at just under 3cm!! He/she is growing so fast! Mommy and Daddy are so, so proud of you!! At almost 10 weeks, the baby has elbows but no knees yet. You can't tell in this picture, but in the live shot he/she was really squiggling (ie dancing) around in there....I wonder where they get THAT from!? My OB said she had never seen a 10 week old baby move so much! I think we might be in trouble!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you guys! We have two and it is amazing! Btw, you look amazing! What have you been doing?

    ReplyDelete