Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!!

January 2nd-3rd: Induction Day

I cannot believe it came down to this. I was certain (and I am sure most people who worked with me were too) that I would deliver early. Even my OB was sure we would labor before New Years. The whole month of December I was convinced that it could be any moment. And then Christmas came and went, and then New Years came and went.... and then it was induction day! Unbelievable.

We were scheduled to be admitted to the hospital on Monday night to start the induction, which made Monday day the longest day ever!! I was a wreck. I oscillated between elation and fear. I kept telling Richard, "This is the last time we will do _____ without baby here!" "We are going to leave here today, and come back with a baby!" Basically, I was an emotional mess.

We were finally admitted to hospital Monday night, but not much happened until the next morning. Tuesday morning they broke my water and started the induction. They immediately noticed that Blakely was not tolerating the contractions well, and was having "late decels." This was concerning for the umbilical cord being around her neck! This made things kind of scary for a while. They attempted to have me labor on my right side, but after about 12 hours of labor they decided to move forward with cesarean section to be on the safe side.

After they decided to section me, everything started moving really quickly. Within 10 minutes of making the decision, they had us moved back to the OR. Because of my rotation in OB/GYN during medical school, I have been in the OR for C-sections many times. However, it is such a strange feeling to be on the other side of the drape. Richard held my hand, and within 5 minutes they had Blakely out and we heard her first cry!!

Perfect! 10 Fingers and 10 Toes!

What an amazing moment!! How do I even express what that moment was like? All the fears and concerns regarding her health, the delivery were gone... she cried immediately! She was here, and she was healthy! I couldn't see her yet, but I could hear her. Rich got to go and see her first, and he got to tell me how perfect she was!!

I love this first picture of our girl! I feel like she is saying, "why did you get me out?" So cute! 

Blakely's first picture with her Daddy! Rich was so excited....he even got a little misty! Love you both so much!!

After they had examined her and made sure she was okay, they let me see her for the first time! Because of the surgery and epidural, I couldn't move so they had to bring her to me. I couldn't even hold her yet! I got to kiss her and see her little face, and I was totally overwhelmed. She was beautiful, she was perfect and she was ours! I couldn't believe it. I cried with joy, kissed her, kissed Rich.... and then she was gone again to get cleaned up.

The world's most beautiful baby!

While we were in the OR, our families were anxiously awaiting Blakely's arrival in the waiting room. Ms, AnnMarie and my mom paced from one side to the other over and over again. Finally, Ms. AnnMarie gave out a shout that she could see Blakely through a tiny window as they moved her down the hall. Pandemonium ensued! Everyone ran to the door, elbowing each other to get a good view. Nursing thought they were hysterical.... kind of like a human totem pole! HA! There were just too many people who loved Blakely!

This is the first picture that Aunt Alyssa was able to take with her phone. This picture was immediately sent out to everyone we know. Yeah for a healthy baby!!

It took them about 15 minutes to finish everything in the OR, and then they took me to the recovery room and let me hold Blakely for the first time. After all the craziness of the day, it was strange to get 30 minutes alone to quietly hold Blakely. She ate for the first time, and I marveled at the miracle that was our baby girl. This was the sweetest of moments, and a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life.

One of my very first pictures with my girl. I am a little overwhelmed in this picture.

Our First Family Picture in the Recovery Room. These are two proud parents!! We love you, Blakely-Bear! We are so excited to get to be your Mommy and Daddy!!

Thank you Lord Jesus for a safe delivery for me and Blakely! We cannot thank you enough for this most precious gift!

2 comments:

  1. Ive heard this story 100x and even lived through it, but it still makes me tear up...what a precious little girl we get to have! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me cry, Lauren. I am SOOOOO excited for ya'll! She is BEAUTIFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete