Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Things Remembered...

Random October-November:  Warning.... this post is going to be kind of random. I have several small memories from this past month that I want to remember, but that are not significant enough by themselves to warrant a post. If you are just interested in the Monk family gossip (because it is always SO hot), then this post is not for you. Remember, you have been warned.

BLAKELY ON-CALL

During the last 2 months, I have been cross covering in the PICU every 4th night. I usually really like working in the PICU, and early on it was still fun. I love taking care of critically ill children, and the PICU nurses are some of my favorite!! Don't get me wrong... I don't want kids to be sick, but if they are going to be sick... I want to be there and help. I also LOVE procedures. However, over the last couple of weeks it has gotten harder, especially as I have gotten bigger.

The PICU can be kind of busy, and there isn't a lot of time for... you know.... the basics. IE: eating, drinking, peeing, sleeping, etc. For those of you who have never been pregnant, I'll let you in on a secret. Those things are VERY important. When you're pregnant, if you get dehydrated or wait too long to pee, you can have contractions. Also, being on your feet for 30 hours can cause A LOT of swelling! I have experienced ALL of these symptoms.

Blakely, on the other hand, has been having a great time!! She loves the PICU. She has been kicking up a storm! Usually... she likes to wait until those 5 minutes when I FINALLY get to lay down. She will be quiet for hours, then when I lay down she goes crazy. She even learned how to kick on BOTH sides of my stomach at the same time!! She has skills! Also, she has gained like 5 boyfriends! There are 5 nurses in the PICU who are pregnant right now, and they are all having BOYS!! My Blakely is going to have her pick of the litter!! So glad that I have only 1 more PICU call left before baby.

MONOGRAM

I ordered this adorable monogram on Etsy for Blakely's wall. I absolutely love it!



WATCH OUT FOR SIDS!!

We have a little bit of a problem. We have a little black cat named Maxwell, and he has been our "baby" for the last 2 years. He currently thinks that the baby's room.... is HIS room. He has been in the bed, under the bed, on the changing table, in the chair... OR HIS FAVORITE... in the closet! This is a problem, and I think a SIDS risk. Cats aren't listed as a SIDS risk, but I think it falls under the category of "no stuffed animals in the crib!" HA! We have a plan to remedy this after the baby comes, but it has made for some cute pictures. Check it out!

Baby Kitty enjoying his FAVORITE spot in the crib!

FULL MOON

Halloween night Blakely was straight up WILD! She was constantly on the move for about 2-3 hours!! Richard couldn't even take his hand of my belly, because she never stopped moving. This was the first night, that we could actually see her moving in there. My belly just kept moving. First to the left, then to the right. At one point in time you could see her little butt roll across the top of my stomach... and we had our full moon! Happy Halloween!!

BIRTHING CLASS

This past Saturday, Richard and I went to a birthing class at Bon Secours. I didn't know how helpful this would be given that both my husband and I are physicians.... but I felt like it was one of those things that we just had to do. I knew that if we didn't, I would worry that I had missed out of some "rite of passage." Maybe some birthing classes are helpful, but this one was... not.

It took the first 2 hours for us to all introduce ourselves, then another 2 hours to discuss remedial anatomy. We were trapped there for 6 hours! The only helpful part was the last hour, in which we went on a tour of the hospital and practiced breathing techniques. The day was not a total loss though. The teacher was in her 60's and clinically insane! She said the FUNNIEST stuff, which Rich REALLY enjoyed. I will provide you with a sampling (which Richard collected on his cell phone. HA!). Please read with a thick southern accent and a slur.

"I do research y'all, and figures don't lie."

"This is big group, so no questions til the end, y'all."..... 5 minutes later...... "Y'all must know everything already 'cause you don't ask any questions."

"...do y'all know what a vagina is, y'all?"

"...babies are controlled by humidity and tides, y'all."

"Your name is Chip? My little dawg's name is Chip. He's trouble, too."

"Now I don't have no babies, but I still spend my whole paycheck in the Breast Feeding Boutique!"

Hope you enjoyed my random moments from the last 2 months. Now that all the showers are over and the room is ready.... this is really happening. We are having a baby! Holy Cow!! 50 days 'til Blakely makes her big debute!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment