Saturday, November 3, 2018

I'm a HALF MARATHONER!!!!

February 2018: Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

There are really no words to fully describe how it felt to finish a half marathon. It is a moment that will definitely play on the "highlights" reel of my life. It was so surreal!! I'm still in shock that I am capable of something like this!!

10 months ago, I had told Alyssa that I would never run a half marathon. I was satisfied with being able to run 5k's and 10k's. ***FAMOUS LAST WORDS*** Literally the next day, my BF from Med School Kate called and asked me if I wanted to run the Disney Princess Half with her.... I found myself yelling 'YES!!!!' on the phone with her. Disney, running and my bestie??? How could I say no to that!

I spent 10 weeks training for the 1/2 Marathon, and then the race was my "victory lap." I have never been so excited and so nervous at the same time. I don't think I slept a wink the week leading up to leaving for the trip.

Headed down to Orlando on Friday before the race. Could not wait to see Kate! Tried to focus on that and our day in MK... rather than all my race anxiety!


On a very short visit... you hit the ground running! Landed and got to Yacht Club around 10.... and jumped straight on the bus for Magic Kingdom!!! HOME!!!!!

This is my race day game face.... obvi! LOL


BEST DAY EVER in MK with my BESTIE!! Waited for Splash Mountain during the fireworks... no waiting to get on and the fireworks went off every time the flume went outside!! MAGIC!!


Calories don't count when they are Mickey shaped!

Saturday we headed over to ESPN Wide World of Sports for packet pickup and to shop all the merch! THINGS JUST GOT REAL!!!



Saturday afternoon we laid out by the pool, tried to relax and then went to Trattoria's to carbo load! Headed home early to got to bed... alarm clock set for 3am!! Flat Lauren was ready to RACE!!!

WAITING IN MY CORRAL!! LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!!

The starting line is one of the coolest things about the race. The fairy god mother comes to open up the race.... and when your group goes they set off FIREWORKS!! It is such an adrenaline rush!! Pure Disney Magic!!
6 miles in!! MADE IT TO THE CASTLE!!!

9 miles in.... still feeling good!! So far my plan has gone off without a hitch! BUT.... the sun was up, the temperature quickly climbed to 85 and the humidity was out of control. Usually February is cold in Disney.... I was NOT prepared for this mini heat wave!!!


10 miles in.... pretty sure this is my last smile for a long time. Between 10 and 11 miles I experience heat stroke, and I had to stop to hydrate. By mile 11 I had rallied, and I was running again!

Only character stop I made during the WHOLE race. Every quarter to half mile of the course is a unique character stop with a photographer.... the lines were always CRAZY!!! Since this was my first half, I was really focused on finishing time... so I didn't waste time stopping. But when I turned the corner at mile 12 inside Epcot I saw Elastagirl….. with NO WAIT.... so I jumped on over and grabbed a quick pic!! So glad I got one character shot! Next time I will make all the stops... maybe.

ALMOST DONE!!!! Last mile is in EPCOT!!!

DONE!!!!!!! I DID IT!!!!!! I'M A HALF MARATHONER!!!!!! Some day, when I'm old and in a wheel chair.... I will still be able to say I'M A HALF MARATHONER!!! 

Literally SECONDS after I crossed the finish line, my running partner called me!! It's like Alyssa had ESP and KNEW that I was done! She was so proud of me; she even cried on the phone!! Love that my sissy is my running buddy!! Next Half Marathon, we will be finishing the race TOGETHER!!!





Immediately after the race, Kate and I rushed back to the room to grab a shower and head to Cape May Café for breakfast with all our favorite characters!!

Celebratory Mimosas?? YES PLEASE!







When you run all the miles, you get to eat allllllll the treats! YES!!!






Best day every with my best friend!! Finished my day with over 50k steps!! Such a magical day and made some of the best memories ever!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment